Friday, February 16, 2007

The Beginning-Summer 2005


We arrived the beginning of August 2005 -just a few days before school started.

Charlie, Holly,her friend Kayla and I and of course our pets -2 rat terriers and our cat drove down the long, long, long gravel covered drive to the garage. My daughter and her friend stood in amazement -not realizing how far out in the country it was. We took a tour through the house-opened the back door and there was 3 dead bunnies on the back porch--it was at that moment that I realized I was very out of place.

I was raised in Dallas--a very conservative middle class Jewish girl--probably not cut out for the Ozarks.My mother was from Arkansas and father from New York City.So, with a little Arkansas blood in me I figured I was cut out for the country. The first time I had really been in the country was when my uncle Doc died in Arkanasas and I went to Arkansas(the non-Jewish part of the family) to the funeral---

He was laid up in the house and smelled like grape jelly--I was very young---and very freaked out--and at that point knew the city is where I belonged. I remembered the church service and them handing out the offering plate. Well, being raised Jewish I thought you were supposed to take what you needed from the plate -not put money in---that did not go well. My second visit was years later with my grandmother-back to Arkansas-and we stayed with one of the relatives and had a nice visit until it came to Sunday dinner. I had admired the chickens out in the back and made friends with a couple. That was a big mistake. Guess what we had for dinner? You guessed it fried chicken. I remember asking my aunt after dinner about a specific chicken that I had become a little attached to. Then I found out how really attached to that chicken I was---very attached I had had it for dinner.

And that is when I really knew--I am A City Girl.

No comments: